- 3 quarts fresh strawberries, divided
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- red food coloring, optional
- 1 baked deep-dish pie crust (10″)
- 2/3 cup water
- In a large bowl, mash enough strawberries to equal 3 cups.
- In saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in mashed berries and water. Mix well. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add food coloring (optional).
- Pour in a bowl and refrigerate for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, till mixture is just slightly warm.
- Fold in remaining berries and pile into pie shell. Refrigerate 2-3 hours.
- Serve with whipped cream