- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons butter + extra butter to dot casserole with
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 large can stewed tomatoes or 3 large fresh ones, chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 bay leaf
- grated cheddar cheese, to taste
- Cook the eggplant in boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain and place in a greased baking dish.
- Melt the 3 tablespoons butter and add the flour and stir until blended.
- Add the tomatoes, onion and salt, brown sugar and bay leaf.
- Cook together for 5 minutes.
- Pour over eggplant, sprinkle top with breadcrumbs and dot with butter. Sprinkle cheddar cheese over top.
- Bake at 350 F for about 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.