- 3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon instant or rapid-rise yeast
- 1 1/2 cups water
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt and yeast.
- Add water and mix until a shaggy mixture forms.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for 12 – 18 hours. Overnight works great.
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. When the oven has reached 450 degrees place a cast iron pot with a lid in the oven and heat the pot for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour dough onto a heavily floured surface and shape into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and let set while the pot is heating.
- Remove hot pot from the oven and drop in the dough. Cover and return to oven for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes remove the lid and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove bread from oven and place on a cooling rack to cool.
I’ve made this bread with chopped black greek olives added to it as well as chopped walnuts and dried cranberries, both turned out great!