- 1 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup Irish whiskey (airline-sized bottle)
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoon orange zest, optional
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Put raisins and Irish whiskey in small bowl, cover with plastic wrap and microwave 1 minute. Set aside, covered, to macerate.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients, caraway seeds and orange zest.
- Drain raisins, reserving liquid.
- Add raisins and buttermilk to flour mixture. Stir to combine.
- Turn out onto floured board and shape into two round loaves.
- Place on greased cookie sheet. Use a sharp knife to cut an “X” into top of loaves.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until loaves sound hollow when tapped.
- Blend some of the reserved Irish whiskey with softened butter. Serve with bread.