- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Lightly grease baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Pour in buttermilk and melted butter. Stir together until blended; some lumps will remain.
- Turn dough onto floured surface, knead about 10 times or until everything holds together. Shape dough into ball; place on prepared baking sheet. Cut deep cross in the top.
- Bake bread about 40 minutes or until paring knife inserted into center comes clean.
- Remove bread from the oven and cool on a rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.