- 1-2 Beefsteak tomatoes (or as many as you’d like), thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped basil leaves
- 2-3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2-3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Place sliced tomatoes on a baking sheet. Sprinkle them with salt, then cover with several layers of paper towel and let stand for 10 minutes. While waiting, sauté the onion until translucent and add garlic and cook another minute or so, then let cool. Combine the eggs, onion, garlic, pepper and basil.
- Line a lightly greased 9X13 baking dish with one layer of tomatoes and pour half the egg mixture over it. Repeat layers. Bake at 350 F for about 30-35 minutes until brown on top.