- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups blueberries
- TOPPING TO PUT OVER BATTER IN PAN: Mix 1 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and set aside.
- Cream sugar and butter. Add milk and dry ingredients of baking powder, flour and salt. Mix thoroughly.
- Put blueberries in bottom of 8 inch square pan. Cover with batter.
- Sprinkle the sugar/cornstarch mixture on top of the batter.
- Pour 1 cup of boiling water on top of the batter (the secret ingredient!)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 – 45 minutes. Serve warm, with vanilla ice cream if desired and spooning a bit of the sauce over the ice cream and cake.
Everyone I have ever served this to loves it. It is easy to make and kids love seeing how the boiling water poured on top of the batter ultimately creates a wonderful blueberry sauce to go with the cake (and vanilla ice cream if desired).